Beauty beyond the ages - Khajuraho Temples

16:39

Recently I read somewhere that "If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet".
 Travelling a new place is more than covering distances and finding those things you never knew you were looking for. More than a quarter of all people in the world belong to eastern religions, which include Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism, and Taoism. All over East Asia, we will find 5000+ and 1000 years old Hindu/Buddhist temple. India is the land of 64 crores God and Goddesses, with a multitude of holy cities and shrines of spiritual Gurus to a motorcycle.


The Khajuraho temples have been surviving for 1000 of years and famous for its ancient temples that depict some of the finest art in the world. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandela dynasty, who from the 9th to 11th century developed a larger realm. Khajuraho extended over 21sq km and contained 85 temples built from 950 to 1050 centuries. The building activity started almost immediately after the rise of their power, throughout their kingdom later known as Bundelkhand. All the Khajuraho temples were not built by a single ruler, but the process of construction of temples was traditional and almost every ruler followed it. The whole group of the monument was built during the period of almost 200 years.


 'Khajuraho temples are famous for tourist and archaeological site knows for its sculptured temples dedicated to Lord Shiva, Vishnu and Jain's patriarchs. There were at least 85 temples builds out of which only 22 are surviving and spread over 6 km. The Temples are clustered into three geographical divisions. The Western group with the largest and main Kandhriya Temple, the Eastern group with a mixture of Hindu and Jain Temples and the Southern group with Chaturbhuj Temples. The Kandariya Mahadeo Temple is the most famous temple in the cluster and builds in the early 11th century. The building appears like a mountain range of diverse peak and dedicated to Lord Shiva.





There is a myth in general peoples mind that Khajuraho temples are filled with erotic structure. The fact is, only 10% arts of Khajuraho Temples are erotic and remaining 90% depicts the different stage of life from birth to death. All the sculptures are present only on the outer walls which means one should leave all worldly desire outside before entering the temple to worship. Each temple at Khajuraho stands on a high platform with a distinctive upward direction to their structure. The three main compartments in the Khajuraho temples are the 'Ardhamandapa' (entrance), the 'Mandapa' (assembly hall) and the 'Garbha Girha' (Sanctum Sanctorum).


Archaeological Survey of India has ranked Khajuraho monument as the best-preserved of antiquity. Khajuraho was mentioned by Abu-Rihan-al-Biruni, the Persian historian who accompanied Mahmud Ghazni in his raid of Kalinjar in 1022 CE. The raid was unsuccessful,  and a peace accord was reached when the King agreed to pay a ransom to Mahmud Ghazni to end the attack. In the 13th century Outb-Ud-Din Aibak and in 1495 CE Sikander Lodi Attacked on the temple. Even after so many attempts, it got saved because of the remoteness of the Temple. Later it was rediscovered in the 20th century by a British officer, T. C Burt.


Khajuraho Temple is a place to look forward to being taken back into the prehistoric world to imagine what life was in that era. It is one of the few temples which should be visited at least once in a life time.
happy travels!






You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Love to read all ur blogs. This hobby u got is god gifted which only few people have who are close to god... Keep going... Amazing information... All d best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      So sweet of you, I am really thankful that you regularly read all my blog. I always hope for the support and encouragement. Once more I am glad that you reviewed my blog.
      Thankyou.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images